Open Space Map (3mb)

City of Shelton Open Space Marker

open space marker

This marker is used to identify Public Open Space owned by the City of Shelton.  It does not mark the exact location of the property line and may be as much as 100 feet away from the boundary, depending on site conditions.  The Conservation and Pedestrian Easements markers have a similar look but different text.

Land Trust Marker

The Land Trust is a private, non-profit group that owns 364 acres of open space in Shelton, marked with these signs.  People frequently confuse the Land Trust with the City of Shelton.

Wetlands Marker

These rectangular wetlands marker may be found in some newer subdivisions, usually on 4x4 posts. They mark the location of areas regulated by the Shelton Inland Wetlands Commission. These are generally on private property and are not related to open space. 

Requests for Tree Cutting on Conservation Lands

Safety issues: Trees can sometimes be cut from Conservation Lands for safety reasons.  These are typically trees that are leaning, dead, or dieing and which could fall onto a yard or home.  Height alone is not generally sufficient reason for cutting a tree in a conservation area if the tree is healthy and relatively straight. In all cases, permission from the owner of the conservation land or holder of the conservation easement must be granted. The procedure varies depending on the status of the land (read below). As of right, any upper portion of a tree that has crossed over the property line (a leaning tree or a limb) can be cut at the property line by the propery owner.

Firewood: Collecting firewood in Shelton open space is prohibited at this time. Exceptions are sometimes granted by the Trails Committee in order to clean up certain fallen trees near trails, especially after major storms. When permission is granted, it is usually given to people who have helped out with the trails or to neighbors. Dead trees, both standing and fallen, have high wildlife value, providing food and shelter to many species. It is often said that a dead tree has more life than a live tree, due to all the organisms that live in the dead tree.

Trees on City-Owned Public Open Space

If a tree on Shelton Public Open Space (NOT Land Trust property, see below) is posing a hazard to private property, contact the Conservation Agent at or 203 924-1555 x1315.  The Conservation Agent will determine if the tree is located on city open space.  If so, you will be notified that the issue has been forwarded to the Tree Warden, Dean Cawthra, who will determine if the tree should be removed and arrange for it to be cut. Questions regarding the status of pending tree removals should be directed to the Mayor's office.

Trees in a Conservation Easement

A conservation easement is an area owned privately but with a legal restriction placed over it.  There are various types of conservation easements, but typically the cutting of trees is prohibited unless permission is granted by the easement holder (usually the City of Shelton) for safety reasons.   There is a tree removal form for this purpose.   Contact the Conservation Agent at 203 924-1555 x1315 or by email  The Conservation Agent will determine if the tree poses a unacceptable safety concern and, if so, grant permission to cut the tree.  The landowner is responsible for having the work performed rather than the City of Shelton.

Trees on Land Trust Property

The Shelton Land Conservation Trust is a private, nonprofit organization that holds 365 acres of conservation lands in Shelton. The Land Trust is not controlled or funded by the City of Shelton or Conservation Commission. If you would like a tree to be cut on abutting Land Trust property, you must contact the Land Trust directly.

Trees on State Conservation Lands

To have a hazardous tree cut on abutting conservation lands owned by the state, you need to contact the Connecticut Department of Energy and the Environment (DEEP). This includes Indian Well State Park as well as a few other properties purchased from the water company in 2002.

If the abutting land is classified as "Centennial State Forest," it is most like owned by the water company.  In 2002, the state purchased development and recreation rights over several hundred acres of water company land, collectively known as Centennial State Forest. Trees on water company property in Shelton should be directed to the Aquarion Water Company.

Trees on Other Government Properties

Trees within the City Right-of-Way, or properties controlled by the Board of Ed, Parks & Rec, Fire Department, or another other City department should be directed to the Engineering Department at 203-924-1555 x349. The Engineering Department will determine if the tree is on City property and, if so, refer the issue to the Tree Warden.    

Trees on a state Right-of-Way (Rt 110, Rt 108, Bridgeport Ave, or the Route 8 ROW) should be brought to the attention of the Connecticut DOT.